soup bowl

My Great Godchild Adeline refers to this Sunday as Soup Bowl.  She cracks me up.  I wonder what she will think when the football players line the field instead of soup and crackers!  I hope that she is not too disappointed.

There is a widely held belief that our blogland should be positive and upbeat.  I can get on board with that – nobody really wants to be a buzz kill.  But the truth is, my Harley dog has lymphoma and I am struggling with the options.  We have nationally acclaimed canine oncologists in our area.  We have a successful vet in our family.  We have Dr. Wonderful.  They all conclude that my boy could do well with chemotherapy, or not.  I’ve taken a great portion of this weekend to think it all over.  I’ve spent time with my boy and struggled with my heart.  I’m no closer to a conclusion than I was when the prognosis was delivered to me.

Sometimes I think that we have advanced veterinary medicine to a place where most average pet lovers cannot afford to go.  I remember growing up in a family that had kennels and very famous show and field dogs.  I never once heard of one of our beloved dogs having cancer.  We bred them, raised them, loved and pampered them and they lived out their lives in good health – succumbing to old age.

SO I spoil my boy with abandon … new toys, roasted chicken and sweet potatoes, long walks and too many pill pockets to ensure that the medicine goes down sweetly!

For some reason, I am unable to load images of Harley’s new toys.  Thanks a bunch, wordpress.  Keep changing it up – watch how many of us jump ship.  How frustrating is it to be captive to a carrier who makes changes that are not intuitive.

Harley loves his stuffed animals and he has never been the sort to destroy them.  If there is anything that I am sure about tonight it is that I will continue to ‘spoil’ my boy.

DSCN9346

DSCN9354I’ve spent a lot of time doing laundry this weekend because little miss you-know-who is in season.  I’d forgotten how much work this involves!  Truth be told – she doesn’t seem to be too thrilled with this change of events either!  Before long she will have surgery and that will be that.  I’m not the least bit interested in litters of puppies!

DSCN9357

When things are difficult I often lose myself in my sewing.  I’ve been working on a piece for a friend who is expecting her first child next month.  She is an administrator in our library and I thought that a book-related theme might be fun.  Arianna – if you are reading, please look away!

DSCN9349

DSCN9348

DSCN9350

Some of these images are inspired by Sewhooked.com and her Harry Potter quilt.  For the most part I have used fabrics that I love and combinations that made sense to me.  I am hoping to have it together in a week or so.  You never know with  first babies – sometimes they make early appearances!  I want to be ready!

DSCN9355

I did not mention the stomach virus that I have been battling all weekend – there was enough bad news to go around without that!  When I walked through the house this evening I saw a sight that really made me smile . . .

DSCN9359

Those ears.  Those little Maude ears.  Those ears reminded me that naps are good.

Advertisements

About jody

mother of two amazing individuals, daughter, sister, artist, partner - devoted to knitting, quilting, gardening,writing,painting, reading, sewing, longing to live by the sea
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to soup bowl

1. Colleen says:

Sorry to hear about Harley’s diagnosis. That’s a tough one. Our Dixie dog was 10 years old when she was diagnosed with cancer. It certainly is a big responsibility to make decisions for our loved ones – furry and not quite as furry.
    Your new project looks like it is coming together so well. I like seeing your process. Do you sketch on paper or computer first ?

• jody says:

Hi Colleen – do you mind my asking what route you took with Dixie? To answer your question – I never sketch or use the computer for the images that circle endlessly in my brain! I have a degree in art (painting) and composition comes fairly easily to me. Except when it doesn’t! And then, oh, what a mess! I like to ‘build’ the quilt, not unlike a painting. I’m happiest when I can do this, but I will say it is one technique that does waste much fabric! So I try to think of fabric as my medium. Remember when that ‘medium’ was not ten dollars per yard!

• Colleen says:

No, I don’t mind you asking and I will say that I still stand behind my decision because it is what I would want someone to do for me. This was 11 years ago and vet medicine has changed but it sounds as though your options have wider scope than mine would have even today. We didn’t know what was wrong with her but she had stopped eating for 2 or 3 days, I had taken Dixie to the vet by myself that day so I was alone in my decision. The vet said that the cancer was in a major organ and I can’t remember now which one. He did say there were options but I know that a typical lifespan for a german shepard is 10 – 14 years. Also, Dixie was not your typical GS. She was very timid especially in her later years; she would run and hide when a vehicle other than ours would come in the yard. So she was very uncomfortable with strangers in strange places away from our farm. So I decided to let her rest and the vet gently ended her life with an injection while I stroked her and talked to her. I don’t know how long it took, the vet had to quietly tell me that she was gone after awhile. He wrapped her in a donated blanket and I took her back home and we buried her on the farm. It was hard telling the kids because there wasn’t any warning about her illness but my husband agreed I had made the right decision. I was worried that she was in pain. That is why I made the tough decision at that time instead of taking her home to let the kids say good-bye, I was thinking of her and what I thought was best for her. I guess I took something away from the kids but we did work through it. It was a tough drive home by myself so that’s probably the only thing I would change – not go by myself. As I said, this is what I want for myself and so although heartbreakingly-horrible-gutwrenching… it was best for her and that gave me a lot of comfort.
        Our dog now is having age issues too and her vet and medicine bills are really adding up. We are coping with them as they come along. This dog is my son’s best friend I hope when the time comes she goes gently. The sadness we feel when they leave our lives must be the price we pay for the love and all they do for us.
        I hope I haven’t run on too long. I sympathize with you. It is tough.
        It’s so good to read about your ‘painting with fabric’ as I will call it. I’m not surprised to read you have a degree in art.

• jody says:

Colleen, thanks so very much for sharing what must have been a very difficult decision. I feel very honored that you choose to share your story with me. I have said all along that the moment I feel Harley is suffering will be the moment that I help him to end it. My son, who was his original owner, wants me to go the chemo route and has offered to pay for it. And of course, it’s not the money, it’s never that, even when it is hard to meet the bills. I don’t want to watch him go downhill gradually. I want to remember him as he is – a great giant-hearted dog. He is still eating with gusto and all of his functions are intact. Prayers. Thank you.

Liked by 1 person

2. Gwendolyn says:

So sorry to hear that your doggie is having troubles. The troubles of ones we love are so hard to work through. With prayer you’ll find your way to a peace for making your decisions on his care. And that librarian lady – to be so lucky!!! What a joy your quilt will bring to her for many , many years. So in a very rough time for yourself, you make a lot of happiness for others in your life.

• jody says:

I hadn’t connected the dots, but it IS true, what you suggest, – so much comfort comes, at least for me, in being able to create something beautiful that can be used and expresses my care. When we bring a pup into our lives we DO enter into a covenant of sorts – one that says we will always be there, we will always care for our buddies and treat them to the best life we can offer. I know that Harley has had a wonderful life. Thank you for your kindness.

3. Kelly says:

Thinking of you and understanding the pain and dilemma of the decision that you face.

As far as your comment that blogs should be upbeat, I think they should be real or otherwise us readers feel as though our lives are the only ones that face struggles while everyone else’s lives are just perfect.

Though some may feel ‘blogosphere’ friends are not real friends because most will never meet, I’d like to think that in some small way knowing that others, strangers, are out there that care and are thinking of you brings support and strength.

• jody says:

you have a way with words Kelly! Thank you so much for your comment – I agree with you – much strength and support comes from those ‘friends’ who read and take the time to express their feelings. I feel very thankful – Thank you, thank you!