missing you

It’s been hard not having any photos to share.  I’ve kind of dropped out, but my heart remains with my blog.  For me, posting is a visual record that cannot compare with, say, a journal.  There’s just something about a colored image that speaks more potently than the written word.  I do hope to get back up and running soon with the many images I’ve been snapping.

Meanwhile, things are shaping up at Cloudwalk.  The apple trees are covered with blossoms and the hosta are making their grand appearances.  The Can-Do Guy is building a huge deck and he constructed four ginormous raised beds for my vegetable garden.  The soil that he imported is so rich with organic material that I have to chase Harley to prevent him from taking little tastes!  Harley is thinner, more tired and cranky, but holding his own.  He has become quite spoiled and why not?  Doesn’t everyone prepare chicken livers, steamed vegetables and roasted chicken for their ailing dogs?  He is my heart, my baby dog.  I will feed him whatever he desires, including the daily tiny pat of real butter that I slip to him when Tula isn’t looking.  No butter for pugs.

My guild has started our second charity quilt for 2016.  We will be using the Plaid Weave block by Karen Griska.  It was my second choice – I preferred this quilt (below), but was not committed to the gathering of fabrics.  Plaid Weave is a great stash buster and I think that it will be a wonderful group project with members selecting fabric from their own stash.

a quilt for Linda

What are your weekend plans?  I’m going to sew and spend some time with me old mudder!

jody 250

Advertisements

About jody

mother of two amazing individuals, daughter, sister, artist, partner - devoted to knitting, quilting, gardening,writing,painting, reading, sewing, longing to live by the sea
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to missing you

1. Colleen says:

Yup, I agree with you about the blog being a special kind of visual record. Glad to hear Harley is doing ok. This weekend will find me doing farm stuff, seeding is about to begin here in the middle of nowhere.

• jody says:

what are you planting Colleen? Is it a corn crop?

• Colleen says:

no, we don’t grow corn here, I have seen the odd field used for winter grazing but I think we are too far north – not enough heat units for a reliable crop of corn. We grow peas – the flour variety as opposed to table peas, wheat, barley and canola. sometimes flax and lentils but not this year.

• jody says:

so Colleen, what is a flour pea? I’m perplexed

2. Colleen says:

both green and yellow field peas are ground up and used frequently in baking. They are really high in protein and gluten free.

• jody says:

Aaah! My daughter is celiac … wouldn’t you think that I would know this! Sometimes the farmers here in the northeast rotate their crops with soy beans to improve the soil – they are pretty, very dark green and almost glossy. We are knee deep in rain – no planting for us yet! That’s ok – there’s always sewing!

• Colleen says:

I have been eating gluten free-ish for the past couple of years and it has probably helped me as much as taking the prescription drug Celebrex did which cost me aprox. $100 a month. Pea flour has a less beany taste than chickpea flour. I find that none of the GF baking has much of a shelf life so I put everything in the freezer right away. Send some rain our way ! We aren’t too bad right now but Alberta is close by and they are very dry.

• jody says:

Oh Colleen,
        it IS pouring here – for a few days now. April showers in May. My rhubarb is enormous! But I’m glad that I didn’t plant seeds because they would be washed away or the birds would have gotten them. The rain shatters my beautiful apple blossoms! This is the only time of the year that my area looks like a fairytale – blooming apple orchards for as far as the eye can see. This is perfect stay-at-home-and-quilt weather. Alas! I have to work.
        xox