gifts

DSCN9483

This is a changing mat that I made for a dear friend who has become an auntie!  Giraffes were part of the nursery theme, so it was easy to get on board!  Who doesn’t love a giraffe?DSCN9482

The backing is pale yellow terry cloth.  This little piece is on its way to a Las Vegas baby named Harper (LOVE that name!)  Congratulations to you all!DSCN9477

Meanwhile, we have been chugging along on the latest charity quilt for my guild – Hudson Valley Modern Quilt Guild.  This is a sneak peak – my friend Elaine has been the guiding force behind this piece and I don’t want to spoil the end result.  DSCN9476

Inspired by Wanda’s butterflies (Exhuberant Color blog), I dug deeply into my Kaffe stash and have been happily piecing butterflies.  This quilt is for one of Scott’s relatives.  More on it as it develops!  I am waiting for one last piece of gold and then I can decide whether or not to lattice it.  The pattern is called Butterfly Town and it’s by Gail Abeloe.  Simple and to the point, the blocks go together very quickly.  You may have noticed that I used the same background print in this piece as I did for my giraffe.  I’m a little obsessed with it and have reordered twice!  It’s called Boardwalk by Art Gallery Fabrics.

We’ve lost two huge trees this week, one day apart.  Doesn’t that seem curious?  No storms, no wind, no logical reason for these events.  We’ve lived here for 15 years and it is so sad to witness the slow but steady demise of the apple trees.  My heart has not been in the gardening this season and the telltale signs are everywhere … wild raspberry canes springing up in the day lily border, milkweed in the mint garden, oxalis and red basil crowding the herbs and roses.  I keep telling myself that I must get out there and tidy the gardens, but I don’t.  Instead, I retreat to the sewing room where color abounds and gifts are created and hours pass happily, fully.  The gardens will have to wait.

Advertisements

About jody

mother of two amazing individuals, daughter, sister, artist, partner - devoted to knitting, quilting, gardening,writing,painting, reading, sewing, longing to live by the sea
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to gifts

1. Michelle says:

Jody! All this new work is gorgeous. Your brilliance inspires me — I’ve been away from creating for too long.

2. Colleen says:

I am crazy in love with that Giraffe ! Harper is one lucky baby and if I was Harper’s Mom that giraffe would be on the wall farthest from the change table !!!
    We lost some huge branches off some old trees in our yard earlier this summer under what sounds like similar circumstances. We have heard of this happening to healthy trees when there are sudden temperature changes and decided that is what caused the breakage. I have been here over 30 years and the trees I am speaking of have been here longer.

• jody says:

Colleen, we have been experiencing some odd weather – as everyone else has – yesterday I heard thunder in a perfectly blue sky and moments later several people were struck in a park 10 minutes from my house!!! Must get inside whenever you hear thunder! I worry so much about our environment – I’m sure you do even more as you are the true stewards of the land.
      The giraffe came from a designer on Craftsy – fun!

• Colleen says:

oh, those poor people ! The weather has been getting more extreme, that’s for sure. What was shaping up to be a fantastic crop is going downhill fast. We’ve been getting a lot of rain and the crops are getting flattened into the ground. We may be scraping poor quality crops out of the mud and getting all the equipment stuck doing it. 😦

• jody says:

The farmer’s life must feel like a crap shoot with this crazy weather. Not enough rain, too much rain …. and the thought of the equipment getting stuck must make you cringe! Thank goodness you have your creative outlet where you make such wonderful things.

• Colleen says:

That is the way I feel about farming – it is such a gamble and it’s nice to know that you and a few others can see it too. I get very anxious and do a lot of hand wringing but my husband handles it much better. I think it is because he takes the longer view. I am very grateful to have my place to create !

• jody says:

Your husband sounds like the farmers I have known – living in the middle of apple country and being surrounded by orchards, I’ve had an up close education about this particular kind of farming. The Hudson Valley is prolific with other kinds of crops as well, but nothing like the magnitude of what you do! My grandfather’s family were pig farmers! They supplied a nearby private school with meat. There’s nothing like the natural world, is there? We live 80 minutes from Manhattan and wild horses couldn’t drag me down there since 911! I keep you in my thoughts and send good wishes for splendid weather conditions!!!!

• Colleen says:

Oh, you have a connection to farm life; that explains your understanding ! I didn’t realize you were so close to ‘downtown’. Thanks for the good wishes 🙂